书城外语生活英语对答如流
13919000000011

第11章 情感Feeling

1.高兴

Let s go dancing.

What fun!我们去跳舞吧。

那太好了!

I heard John got married.

That s good news!我听说约翰结婚了。

真是个好消息!

Look at those flowers.

Looks great!你看那些花。

看起来不错!

I won the lottery!

Lucky!我中奖了。

真走运。

We re going to Disneyland!

Whoopee!我们要去迪斯尼乐园了。

啊!

It s a nice day!今天的天气真好!

I feel great!舒服极了。

You look happy today.

Yes.I got a raise.今天你看上去很高兴啊。

是呀,我涨工资了。

Did you receive my birthday card?

Yes,you made me happy.Thank you.你收到我给你的生日贺卡了吗?

收到了,我太幸福了。谢谢。

We re having a baby.

This is too good to be true.我们有孩子了!

这简直让人不敢相信。

We re going camping next week.

Oh,boy!下星期我们去宿营。

哇,真棒!

Everything worked out well.

I m relieved.所有的事情都解决好了。

我总算可以松口气了。

I ve got a new job!

You did it!我找到了一个新工作。

太好了!

Happy birthday!

I m surprised!生日快乐!

吓我一跳!

Let s go dancing tonight!

Sounds great!今天晚上咱们跳舞吧!

好主意!

We won the competition at last.

Really? How marvelous!我们最后赢得了比赛。

真的? 好极了!

I won the lottery!

Really? That s too good to be true.我中奖了!

真的吗?这简直让人不敢相信。

I m pregnant!

Nothing could be more wonderful.我怀孕了!

没有比这更让人高兴的了。

You seemed to have much pleasure in the party of last night.

Yes.I danced and sang.I ve never been this happy.昨晚的晚会上你看起来玩得很开心。

是啊。昨晚我又唱歌又跳舞。我从来没有这么高兴过。

What are you smiling about?

I m in a great mood.I ve just received a notice of acceptance from Harvard University.They re giving me a full scholarship.你为什么高兴地笑呢?

我太高兴了。我刚收到哈佛大学的录取通知书,他们给了我一份全额奖学金。

The boss says we ve all worked hard these days,and he s giving us tomorrow off!

Great!老板说这几天我们工作很卖力,明天他要放我们假!

好极了!

What s the good news?

I can t believe this.I ve passed all the exams.有什么好消息?

我简直不敢相信。所有的考试我都通过了。

Mary,how do you like your birthday party?

It was wonderful.I m more than pleased.玛莉,你觉得你的生日聚会怎么样?

很好。我高兴极了。

Here s my birthday present for you.How do you like it?

I like it very much.Thank you.这是我送给你的生日礼物。你觉得怎么样?

我很喜欢。谢谢你。

Susan looks like she s on cloud nine.

Yes,she is.She s been looking for an apartment for two months and she finally found the perfect one.苏珊高兴得像是上了九重天。

她确实高兴极了。两个月来她一直在找公寓,现在她终于找到了一个完美的地方。

What sort of time are you having?

We re having a marvellous time here.你们玩得怎么样?

我们在这里玩得快乐极了。

How lovely to see you!

Me,too.见到你我真高兴!

见到你我也很高兴。

Look at the view!

Wow! it s great.看那边的景色!

哇!太漂亮了。

School will be cancelled tomorrow.

Yeah!明天学校放假!

哇!

He got the promotion.

I m glad to hear it.他升官了。

听到这消息我很高兴。

Let s go singing.

What fun!我们去唱歌吧。

那太好了!

You seem really happy.

My husband got a promotion.你看上去真的很高兴。

我丈夫升职了。

Our school won the match.

Nothing could be more wonderful.我们学校赢了比赛。

没有比这更让人高兴的了。

His mother got recovery.

I m pleased to hear that.他妈妈康复了。

听到这个消息很高兴。

Everything goes well.

Terrific!事情进展得很顺利。

好极了!

Expressing Excitement 表达激动

It s breathtaking.非常令人兴奋。

I m thrilled.我非常兴奋!

The result is most exhilarating.结果非常令人兴奋。

Her news is really sensational.她带来的消息真是好极了!

Guess what! He s got a medal.你想得到吗?他得了奖牌。

I can t believe it! I ve made it.我真不能相信!我成功了。

I find the news very exciting.我觉得这个消息非常令人兴奋。

I can t restrain my enthusiasm about the result.听到结果,我的确无法控制我的兴奋之情。

I m really very enthusiastic about that.我的确对此有强烈的兴趣。

Expressing Delight 表达欣喜

I m on top of the world.我太高兴了。

I m really delighted.我非常高兴。

I m really delighted about your achievement.我很高兴你所取得的成绩。

I m very pleased to hear the news.我非常高兴听到这个消息。

I m very pleased with what you ve done.我非常高兴你所做的一切。

I can t say how pleased I am to meet you here.在这儿遇见你我说不出有多高兴。I can t say how delighted I am about your success.得知你成功了,我说不出有多高兴。

What a blast!真痛快。

A:I m so happy,Jack!

B:Why?What s the good news?

A:I can t believe this.I ve passed all the exams.

B:That s great!You ve been worrying about this for quite a long time.

A:Yeah.Thank God.I made it!

A:杰克,我太高兴了!

B:为什么?有什么好消息?

A:我简直不敢相信。所有的考试我都通过了。

B:太好了!你为这事儿可担心好久了。

A:是啊。感谢老天爷,我成功了!

A:Hi, did you go and watch the football match at the stadium this afternoon?

B:Yes. It was the most exciting game I have ever seen.

A:I like the way the visiting team played. The teamwork was good and the players were in excellent shape.

B:Yes, they played an offensive game.

A:At times they gained ground, but the defense of the home team was wellorganized.

B:The scoring was opened after 15minute s play by the centerforward of the home team.

A:Yes. The shot was extremely accurate.

B:So the first half ended in a draw. But the visitors took the lead in the second half.

A:And the result is twoone in favor of the visitors.

B:That s right. A great match, really.

A:你好,今天下午你去体育场看足球赛了吗?

B:去了。这是我所看过的最令人激动的比赛了。

A:我喜欢客队参赛的阵容。整体配合得好,运动员也是非常整齐划一。

B:是啊,他们挑起了一场很有攻击力的比赛。

A:有时候他们占上风,但主队的防御组织得很好。

B:开赛15分钟后,主队中锋开球得分。

A:是啊,那一脚射门太准啦。

B:上半场以平局结束。但下半场客队领先。

A:结果客队以二比一取胜。

B:对呀。真是一场大战啊。

a cheerful day令人高兴的一天;

a jolly party欢乐的聚会;

be delighted at对……很高兴;

be excited about为……而兴奋;

be irresistibly mad with joy欣喜若狂 ;

be joyful over因……而高兴;

be moved to tears激动得流泪;

be overwhelmed with joy快乐之极;

be pleased at the news听到这消息很高兴;

be pleased to do高兴做;

jump for joy狂欢;

beam with joy笑逐颜开;

beside oneself with joy极为快乐;

blissful adj. 高兴的;

cheerful adj. 欢乐的;

cheerful appearance快乐的表情;

enjoymentn. 快意;

exult in为……狂喜;

filled with joy充满欢乐;

get excited变得激动;

hailv. 为……欢呼;

happinessn. 快乐;

jollyadj. 愉快的,高兴的;

joyfuladj. 快乐的,高兴的;

jubilantadj. 喜悦的;

luckyadj. 幸运的;

merryadj. 快乐的;

pleasev. 使高兴;

pleasuren. 愉快,快乐;

rejoicev. 欣赏,高兴;

rejoice over为……欣喜;

After Retirement

Tom:You re going to retire in two weeks,but you don t look happy.

John:Do you think I should be happy? The worst thing about retirement is having to drink tea and read newspapers on your own time.

退修之后

汤姆:你还有两个星期就退休了,可是,你看起来并不高兴。

约翰:你认为我会高兴吗?退修之后最糟的事情是我不得不用自己的时间喝茶看报了。

2.喜欢

How about seeing a movie after supper?

I would like that very much.晚饭后我们去看电影怎么样?

我很喜欢。

How do you feel about classical music?

I am fascinated by it.你对古典音乐怎么样?

我对古典音乐很着迷。

What do you think of this book?

I think it s interesting.你觉得这本书如何?

我觉得它很有意思。

That movie was great.

I enjoyed it,too.那部电影真棒。

我也很欣赏。

How s your new job?

I like it.你的新工作怎么样?

我很喜欢。

I like this dress.

So do I.我喜欢这套衣服。

我也喜欢。

How s your new house?

I like it.你的新房子怎么样?

我很喜欢。

I just bought you a tie for your birthday.Do you like it?

It s beautiful.I love it.我为你过生日买了一条领带,你喜欢吗?

真漂亮,我非常喜欢。

I like this dress very much.

So do I.我很喜欢这套衣服。

我也喜欢。

Are you pleased with your new bike?

Of course.你喜欢你的新自行车吗?

当然。

What would you like to prefer,tea or coffee?

I prefer coffee to tea.你喜欢喝茶还是咖啡?

相比来说,我更喜欢咖啡。

Shall we go swimming on Sunday?

Good idea.It s my favorite sport.星期天我们去游泳好吗?

好主意,游泳是我最喜欢的运动。

It s so strange that you are drinking coffee.

I have taken a fancy to coffee.太奇怪了,你在喝咖啡。

我喜欢上咖啡了。

More and more people raise pets at their home now.

Yes.I also have a weakness for kittens,puppies and chicks.现在,越来越多的人在家里养宠物了。

是的,我对小猫、小狗和小鸡有偏爱。

My hobby is baseball.Are you interested in learning?

Yes,I m interested.我的爱好是打棒球,你有兴趣学吗?

嗯,有兴趣。

What did you think about the movie?

I really enjoyed it,especially the ending is funny.你觉得这部电影怎么样?

我非常喜欢,尤其是结尾很有意思。

Showing Likes 表示喜欢

I enjoy watching TV.我喜欢看电视。

I adore this color.我很喜欢这个颜色。

I d rather have milk than coffee.在牛奶与咖啡之间,我较喜欢牛奶。

I ve started to like noodle.我开始喜欢吃面条了。

I m crazy about swimming.我着迷于游泳。

I adore skating.我喜欢滑冰。

I really care for my pet.我确实喜欢我的宠物。

I m really sold on Internet games.我真的迷上了网络游戏。

I m much on her songs.我对她的歌非常着迷。

I m head over heels about her music.我对她的音乐非常着迷。

I m absolutely crazy about the life here.我非常着迷于这儿的生活。

I m very keen on (playing) football.我非常喜欢踢足球。

I have a particular fondness for video game.我特别喜欢电子游戏。

I don t think I ve seen anything I like better.我还没见过我更喜欢的东西呢!

There is nothing I enjoy more than going to the pictures.我最喜欢的莫过于看电影了。

Surfriding is very enjoyable.冲浪运动令人非常快活。

Watching movies is one of my favorite pastimes.看电影是我最喜欢的消遣之一。

Showing Dislikes 表示不喜欢

I don t care for any soup.我不喜欢喝汤。

There s nothing I like less than that.我最不喜欢的莫过于此了。

There s nothing I like less than studying all day and all night.我最讨厌整天没完没了地学习。

I don t love the bird.我不喜欢鸟。

I don t go for noisy girls.我不喜欢爱吵闹的女孩儿。

I m not very keen on watching soap operas.我不喜欢看肥皂剧。

I dislike his way of speaking.我不喜欢他说话的方式。

I m not overenthusiastic about studying abroad.我不太喜欢出国读书。

I can t say singing appeals to me very much.我得说唱歌对我没多大吸引力。

I have to admit I rather dislike meat.我得承认我相当不喜欢吃肉。

That woman gave me a real pain in the neck.那个女人真令人讨厌。

I really hate gossiping.我真讨厌扯闲话。

I think it pretty unpleasant having a picnic on rainy days.我想在雨天野餐是很不愉快的。

It s a pain having to live with him.和他住在一起真令人讨厌。

I find the song distinctly unattractive.我觉得这首歌曲特别乏味。

It s not my style.那不合我的口味。

A: We are having bean curd tonight.Do you like it?

B: It s okay.

A: Just “okay”?

B: Oh, I guess it s not bad.

A: I get the impression that you don t like bean curd much.

B: Well, I don t dislike it.But, I don t like it either.It s just okay.

A: Maybe tomorrow we ll have something you like better.

B: I hope so.

A:今晚我们做豆腐吃,你喜欢吗?

B:不错。

A:仅仅是“不错”?

B:噢,我想还行。

A:给我感觉你不是很喜欢豆腐。

B:喔,我不讨厌它。但是我也不喜欢它,只是凑合。

A:也许明天我们将做一些你比较喜欢的东西。

B:我希望如此。

A:Well, what did you think of the apartment?

B:The bedroom and the kitchen are all right, but the sitting room is too small for us to entertain our friends.

A:I couldn t agree more. There isn t even room to turn about!

B:In spite of that, I think the balcony is nice. I like the spacious balcony.

A:Do you? So do I.

B:Besides, I enjoy the surroundings very much. It s far away from the crowd and it s quiet.

A:Me too. Anyway, I really love the bedroom. It has a harmonious colour and an excellent view.

B:Actually, on the whole, I think the apartment is quite comfortable.

A:嗯,你认为那套房间怎么样?

B:卧室和厨房可以,但是起居室太小了,以至于我们不能招待朋友。

A:我再同意不过了。连转身的地方都没有!

B:除了这点外,我觉得阳台挺好的。我喜欢宽敞的阳台。

A:是吗?我也喜欢。

B:另外,我非常喜欢周围的环境。它远离喧嚣,很安静。

A:我也喜欢。不管怎样,我真的喜欢卧室。它有协调的色彩和较好的视野。

B:实际上,总的来说,我觉得房间还是挺舒服的。

abhor v. 讨厌,憎恨;

adore v. 喜欢,崇拜;

be fond of喜爱,喜欢;

be keen on强烈喜欢;

be mad about对……着迷;

be fed up受够了,厌烦;

care for喜欢;

disgusting adj. 令人恶心的;

dislike v. 不喜欢,讨厌;

go for喜欢;

have a fancy for对……喜欢;

have a liking for喜爱;

hate v. 憎恨;

have a particular aversion for对……特别反感;

have a particular dislike of特别不喜欢……;

put up with 忍受;

detest v. 憎恶;

heinous adj. 可恶的;

turn away from厌恶;

least favorite最不喜欢的;

feel a strong aversion to非常厌恶;

odious adj. 厌恶的;

be sick of厌恶的;

What Doesn t She Like?

The first week after my sevenyearold daughter comes back from school,I ask her what she likes and dislikes at school.She says,

“Oh,I like the playground,the swimmingpool,the football field,the video room and the club.I have only one dislike—the classroom.”

她不喜欢什么?

我的7岁女儿第一周放学回到家后,我问她在学校喜欢什么,不喜欢什么。她说:

“哦,我喜欢操场、游泳池、足球场、电子游戏室、俱乐部等。我只有一样不喜欢——那就是教室。”

3.怀疑

The advertisement says one must do exercise with their equipment to keep healthy.

I don t have great belief in ads.What they really want is to get more money from you.广告说要想健康就得用他们的器材多加锻炼。

我不太相信广告的宣传,他们只想更多地赚你的钱。

I have won the scholarship.

I don t buy your story.我获得了奖学金。

我不相信你的鬼话。

He said he had seen the president.

I doubt it.他说他见到总统了。

我怀疑这件事。

I m going to travel around the world.

I find it hard to believe.我要去环游世界。

我觉得很难相信。

We have found your lost dog.

I ll believe it when I see it.我们找到了你丢失的小狗了。

我要亲眼见到才能相信。

He left the company.

Are you sure?他离开了那家公司。

你确定吗?

I want to quit my job.

Are you serious?我想辞职。

你是认真的吗?

I want to break up with you.

Are you kidding?我想和你分手。

你是说着玩吧?

He said he would talk with her about it.

I doubt it.他说他会和她谈这件事。

我怀疑。

He said we would get a raise.

I won t buy that story.他说我们会涨工资。

我不信他的话。

That company went bankrupt last year.

I find it s hard to believe.那家公司去年倒闭了。

真让人难以相信。

They will turn down our offer.

It can t be true.他们要拒绝我们提供的帮助。

这不可能是真的。

I don t take him too seriously.

He is all talk.我不把他的话太当真。

他总是夸夸其谈。

Expressing Doubt 表示怀疑

It sounds suspicious to me.听起来有点可疑。

Really?真的吗?

Are you joking?你在开玩笑吧?

Do you mean it?你是认真的吗?

I think she is lying.我认为她在撒谎。

I won t believe that story.我不会相信那种事。

Do you think he s serious?你认为他是认真的?

It s doubtful whether it will work.这未必能行。

It s unbelievably good that there has to be something wrong.哪有这么好的事。

Feeling Bewildering 感到困惑

I m at a loss what to do.我不知道怎么办好。

I m at a loss what I should do tomorrow.我不知道明天该怎么办。

The reason for doing it is still a puzzle to me.那么做的原因对我来说仍是一个谜。

It is all very bewildering.我完全摸不着头脑。

This is all above my head.我根本搞不明白。

I m so mixed up what should I do?我真是无所适从。我到底该怎么办?

Don t try to explain.It ll only make me more confused.别向我解释,你越解释,我就越糊涂。

I simply can t imagine why you had to do it.我想像不出来你干吗非得那么做。

I m completely mystified by your behavior.对于你们的行为,我感到难以理解。

A:I think something is wrong with Mr. Gao. He is not as cheerful as usual.

B:I don t know what it could be, either.

A:I heard last Saturday that his father has been sick. I wonder if that s the trouble.

B:I doubt that. The day before yesterday he told me his father felt much better.

A:Maybe he has a problem here at work.

B:I don t think that he has any problem with his job. It s well known that Mr. Gao is the best clerk among us.

A:我认为高先生有些问题, 他不像往常那么精神振奋。

B:我也不知道是怎么回事。

A:上周六我听说他父亲病了。我不知道是否是这个问题。

B:我怀疑。前天他告诉我他父亲的病好多了。

A:也许是因为他工作上的问题。

B:我觉得他的工作没有任何问题。众所周知,高先生是我们当中最好的雇员。

A:Hi.I came to pick up my package.

B:I m sorry,there is no package for you here.

A:Are you sure? There must be.I received this package slip.

B:I m sorry.I looked and it s not here.

A:Wait a minute.That package over there is mine.

B:I don t think so.

A:Yes,I am certain it s mine.It is a box I mailed to myself from Beijing.I recognize my own handwriting.

B:So it is.

A:喂,我来接我的包裹。

B:对不起。这儿没有你的包裹。

A:你确信吗?肯定在这儿。我收到了包裹单。

B:对不起。我找了,但它不在这儿。

A:等一会儿。那边的那个包裹是我的。

B:我不那样认为。

A:不,我确信它是我的。那是我从北京邮给我自己的。我辨认得出我的笔迹。

B:它确实是。

a look of complete bewilderment完全困惑不解的神情;

baffle sb.completely使某人完全困惑;

be bewildered at对……感到迷惑;

be bewildered by被……难住;

be perplexed at对……感到困惑;

be perplexed for an answer不知如何回答是好;

be puzzled about/over苦思某事;

feel a little confused about对……有些困惑;

get confused with不知所措;

look at sb.in bewilderment困惑地看着某人;

decisiveadj. 果断的,决断的;

muddlen. 糊涂,困惑;

restless adj. 静不下来的,不能安宁的;

incredibleadj. 难以置信的,不可思议的;

cheerful adj. 高兴的,兴高采烈的;

clerkn. 文书,职员,办事员;

Crime and Punishment

A lawyer defending a man accused of burglary tried this creative defense:“My client merely inserted his arm into the window and removed a few articles.His arm is not himself,and I fail to see how you can punish the whole individual for an offense committed by his limb.”

After some deliberation,the judge replied,“Well put.Using your logic,I sentence the defendant s arm to one year s imprisonment.He can accompany it or not,as he chooses.”The defendant smiled.With his lawyer s assistance he detached his artificial limb,laid it on the bench,and walked out.

罪与罚

一个为一名被控犯盗窃罪的人作辩护的律师,作出了很有创见的辩护。他说:“我的当事人只是将他的胳膊伸入窗户,拿走了几件东西。他的

胳膊,不等于他这个人。所以我觉得你们没有理由因其肢体犯罪而对整个人进行惩罚。”

经过一番深思熟虑,法官回答道:“说得很好。按照你的逻辑,我判决被告的胳膊入狱一年。他可以陪它一起入狱,也可不必,随他的便。”被告面露微笑。在律师的帮助下他将假肢卸下,将其放在长凳上,然后走出了法庭。

4.厌烦

Why do we still have cheese? I hate it.

Well,in that case,I suggest you have a cup of coffee.还是奶酪呀?我讨厌这奶酪。

那,如果是这样,我建议喝杯咖啡。

Do you like tomato?

No,I hate it.你喜欢吃西红柿吗?

不,我最讨厌它了。

Here comes my boss,Mr.Lin.

I can t stand him.过来的那位是我的老板林先生。

我看见他就心烦。

Look at the cockroach!

Yuck!看那蟑螂!

啐!

No,you can t go.

Oh,man! You never let me do anything.不行,你不能去。

哦,真烦!你总是什么都不让我做。

I don t know her,I promise.

Give me a break!我发誓我不认识她。

算了吧,别玩花样了。

My life is dull.

It s dull.我每天都这么无聊。

没劲。

There s one more problem.

Now what?还有个问题。

这次又是什么?

Do you want to watch that movie?

No,I hear it s boring.你想看那部电影吗?

不,听说那电影很无聊。

I hate this class.

I agree.It s for the birds.我讨厌上这种课。

没错。真无聊。

I m tired of the routine work.

Oh,come on.You ve just started.我厌烦了这种千篇一律的工作。

得了吧。你只不过刚开始。

Where do the flies come from?

I don t know.从哪儿来的这么多苍蝇?

不知道。

Reciting texts really bores me to death.

But it s a good way to learn English.背课文要烦死我了。

可这是学习英语很好的方法。

Do you like the new manager?

His endless talking really turns me off.你喜欢新来的经理吗?

他没完没了的讲话真叫我讨厌。

It s such a bother to drive during the rush hour.

Yeah.So I d rather walk to work.在交通高峰期开车真烦人。

是啊,所以我宁可步行上班。

Are you going to play basketball with us this afternoon?

I am sorry,I am really not interested in playing basketball.你今天下午和我们一起去打篮球好吗?

对不起,我对打篮球确实不感兴趣。

If he goes shouting,I can t stand it.如果他再继续吵下去,我就受不了了。

Neither can I.我也快受不了了。

I am fed up with reading eight hours a day.

But that s the work.我对每天阅读八小时烦透了。

可这份工作就是这样啊。

Mom! She took away my toys.

That s enough.Stop complaining.妈妈,她拿走了我的玩具。

够了,别那么多牢骚了。

Do you agree to his idea?

No,I don t.The more I hear it,the more disgusted I become.你同意他的想法吗?

不,我不同意,我越听越烦。

I am rather bored by noisy parties.

Parties are usually noisy.我被喧闹的聚会弄得烦死了。

聚会总是喧喧嚷嚷的。

Do you like potato?

No,I hate it!你喜欢吃土豆吗?

不,我最讨厌它了!

Are you all right?

I feel bad.I think working here is really awful.你怎么样?

感觉很糟,我认为在这里工作实在很讨厌。

I can t bear for her sins.

I agree.I don t like her either.我不能忍受她爱管闲事。

就是,我也不喜欢她。

Showing Boredom 表示厌烦

Her endless complaining makes me sick.她没完没了的抱怨令我厌烦。

I m rather bored by the rumour.这谣传我真听腻了。

I m really sick of waiting in line for buses.我对排队等车实在讨厌极了。

I m sorry,but the opera is quite a bore.对不起,不过这歌剧非常令人生厌。

Oh,how boring!哦,真没劲!

What a boring film!这电影真乏味!

Bother the flies!苍蝇真讨厌!

I m cheesed off with his jokes.他的笑话我都听腻了。

That woman is a thorough drag.那个女人令人讨厌透顶。

Your friend bores me to death.你的朋友叫我讨厌死了。

All this same song really browns me off.总是一样的歌真叫我烦。

I m really sick of waiting for hours.几个小时的等待真叫我烦。

I m tired of her story.她的故事我都听腻了。

What s all this bother about?都吵些什么呀!

I m tired of it,the same old story.我已经厌倦了,都是老一套。

It seems rather boring,I think.我认为这真无聊。

Actually,I find her lecture utterly monotonous.我觉得她的报告单调乏味。

Why don t you just shut up?你就不能闭嘴吗?

A:I don t think the lecture is very interesting.

B:True,I can t bear it any more.

A:And the homework always gives me headache.

B:To be frank,it s awfully boring.

A:我觉得这讲座很没意思。

B:不错,我简直忍无可忍。

A:而且家庭作业总令我头痛。

B:老实说,简直太令人心烦了。

A:What s up?

B:Nothing much. What s new with you?

A:Not too much. I ve been pretty busy the whole day.

B:Me too. It seems like all I do is eating and sleep. I m browned off with this routine life.

A:You remember that thing you told me last week?

B:Which one? The one about the English salon?

A:Yeah. That s the one. Listen, I ve got a terrific idea about the whole project and we need to discuss it.

B:I m sorry, but I m really not terribly interested in what you said.

A:有什么新鲜事吗?

B:没有。你有什么新鲜事儿吗?

A:没什么。整天瞎忙。

B:可不是嘛,整天好像除了吃就是睡。每天千篇一律的生活真让人厌烦。

A:你还记得上个星期你跟我说的那件事吗?

B:什么事? 是不是关于英语沙龙的事?

A:对,就是。听我说,我对这个计划有绝妙的主意,想和你商量商量。

B:对不起,但是我真的对你所说的不感兴趣。

irritable adj. 急躁的,易怒的;

irritate v. 使愤怒,使烦恼;

toleratev. 容忍,忍受;

be bored with the work对工作厌倦;

be dead tired累得要死;

be tired of对……厌烦;

be weary of life厌倦生活;

bore sb.to death烦死人了;

“I Can t Throw That Far!”

My mother often feeds pigeons in the park near her home in Portland,Maine.One day,as she fed the growing flock surrounding her,a man came over to her.“While you re feeding perfectly good bread to the birds,”he told mother angrily,“there are people starving in Africa.”

Mother,never one to back down from a fight,looked him in the eye and said,“I m sorry,but I can t throw that far!”

“我扔不了那么远!”

我母亲常在缅因州波特兰市她家附近的公园里喂鸽子。一天,正当她喂着身边越聚越多的鸽群时,一个男人向她走来。“您竟然将这么好的面包喂鸽子,”她愤愤地对母亲说道,“而非洲却有人在挨饿。”

母亲是一位从来也不会在斗争中退缩的人,她瞪着他说道:“很抱歉,可我没法扔那么远!”

5.忧虑

I hate being alone.

Me too.我讨厌孤独。

我也是。

My wife died,now I feel empty.

I m sorry to hear that.我妻子去世了,我心里空荡荡的。

真是太不幸了。

My life is empty.

You should find something to do.我的生活很空虚。

你应该找些事做。

I m all alone in this world.

You aren t alone.We ll stay with you.我在这个世界上总是孤独的。

你会不孤独的,我们和你在一起。

I m depressed.I lost my job.

Cheer up! You ll get a new job.我很沮丧,因为我失去了工作。

打起精神来!你一定能找到新工作。

I ve got the blues today.

Come on! Don t get upset.我今天感到很忧郁。

好啦!别烦了。

Today just isn t my day.

Buck up,boy!今天我真是什么都不顺心。

振作起来。

No one understands me.It s depressing.

Don t talk like that! I understand you.没人能理解我,真让人泄气。

别那样说,我理解你。

He looks gloomy today.

Don t worry,he ll be better soon.今天他看上去很郁闷。

别担心,他很快就会好的。

I m afraid that I can t pass the exam.

I don t think so.You ve been working hard recently,haven t you?我担心考试过不了。

我不这样认为。你最近一直很努力,不是吗?

I am very anxious for her.

Be relaxed.She can t be lost.我很担心她。

放心吧。她不会走丢的。

I feel great anxiety about his sickness.

Take it easy.He will recover soon.我对他的病情感到非常担忧。

别担心,他很快就痊愈了。

It s a worry to me whether I can pass the test.

Don t worry.I m sure you ll pass it.我真担心能否通过考试。

别担心。我相信你会通过的。

Serious pollution in the seas gives some cause for concern.

Yes.And I think government should take actions as soon as possible.现在海洋的严重污染令人非常担心。

是的。而且我觉得政府应该尽快采取措施。

I m really in a flap about the interview.

Take it easy.You ve made enough preparations.想到面试我心慌极了。

别担心。你已经做了充分的准备了。

Worrying kept me awake.

You ll send yourself to an early grave.我愁得睡不着觉。

这样会使自己折寿的。

I m a bundle of nerves.

What has happened?我心乱如麻。

发生什么事了?

I find his illness very worrying.

Don t worry yourself sick.我觉得他的病情很令人担忧。

可不要把自己愁出病来呀。

Worries 担忧

I m afraid I ll be late.我担心要迟到了。

I m worrying about her health.我担心她的健康。

It s worry to me whether he s able to pass the exam or not.我担心他能否通过考试。

I m worried about her long absence.她好久不露面叫我担心死了。

I fear(that) he may have lost his way.我担心他可能迷路了。

I m extremely upset about her illness.她的病令我非常不安。

Their absence upsets me very much.他们的缺席使我非常不安。

Don t worry about it.别担心。

I do hope Tom s all right.我真希望汤姆没什么事。

I am afraid we ll miss the train.恐怕我们要赶不上火车了。

I worry myself to death I ll have so many things to do.想到我有这么多事情要做,我真要担心出病来了。

I m apprehensive of further defeat in the competition.我担心在比赛中再次失利。

I am scared of being dismissed.我担心被解雇。

I am upset about the safety to sail in such bad weather.在如此糟糕的天气里出航我对安全感到担忧。

I was very worried about whether my daughter would get along well at the new school.我很担心我的女儿在新学校是否一切顺利。

I dread to think if my children can manage everything during my absence.

我很担心我不在家时,孩子们是否能处理一切。

Fear 恐惧

He is terribly afraid of high places.他对高处深感恐惧。

I have a fear of being in small places.我害怕置身在狭窄的空间里。

My hair stood on end when I heard the noise.当我听到那个声音时,不禁毛发悚然。

That movie made my flesh crawl.那部电影令我全身发麻。

I was so scared my teeth chattered.我害怕得牙齿直打颤。

We were horror stricken when we saw the accident.我们看到这件意外的事故,简直吓坏了。

We were horrified when the man pulled out a gun.当那人掏出了手枪时,我们都吓坏了。

I shivered involuntarily with an inexplicable dread.我怀着莫名其妙的恐惧,身不由己地不寒而栗。

I feel an unspeakable chill of danger to stay in the darkness.我待在黑暗中突然感到一种不可名状的恐惧。

I had a horrible dream last night.昨晚我做了个可怕的梦。

I m really afraid of walking outside alone at night.我很害怕自己一个人走夜路。

When I catch the chair lift skiing, I always dread falling out.每当我坐上滑雪山吊椅时,总会害怕自己掉下来。

The old house, gloomy and empty, gave me the creeps.这栋老房子空荡荡且阴森森的,令我觉得非常可怕。

I shuddered with fear when I saw the man fixing his gaze on me with a sinister grin on his lips.当我看见这个男人嘴角泛着令人可怕的笑容盯着我看时,我不由得打了个寒战。

I trembled with fear when the car skidded on the ice.当车子在冰上打滑时,我害怕得全身发抖。

A:Would you take me to railway station,please?

B:You sound as if you are in a hurry.

A:I m afraid I am. I was late leaving the office and the train for Beijing leaves at 2:30.I m extremely nervous of missing the train.

B:Don t worry,sir.I ll get you there in time.

A:请将我送到火车站好吗?

B:听起来你似乎很焦急。

A:恐怕是的,我离开办公室晚了一些,可是去北京的列车两点半就要发车。我极其担心我会赶不上火车。

B:别着急,先生,我会及时送你到那儿的。

A:I dread the coming exams. If only I could have time to review my lessons.

B:What was the matter with you?

A:My mother was very ill, I had to take care of her. And I was worried about her operation.

B:I m so sorry to hear that. Has she recovered now?

A:Yes. She s well now. And I find myself nearly out of my mind with the exams.

B:When are they?

A:Only two weeks away. I m frantic. I ve lost my appetite and I can t sleep well.

B:It s no use worrying like this.

A:But, you know, if I don t pass them, I don t know what I ll do! I m rather apprehensive about failure.

B:Take it easy. If you fail it, take them next year.

A:That means I ll graduate one year later. My mother would be greatly disappointed.

B:I m sure she ll understand. You d worry yourself sick if you keep up this very nervous state.

A:Yes, I already suffer from the symptoms of a bad cold.

B:My advice is that you d better take it easy.

A:我真担心,考试快到了,要是我有时间复习功课该多好啊。

B:你怎么啦?

A:我妈妈不久前病得很重,我必须照顾她。我还为她的手术而老是心神不定。

B:听你这么说我很不安,她现在复原了吗?

A:是的,她现在倒是痊愈了,可我对考试简直是一筹莫展。

B:什么时候考?

A:只有两个星期了。我现在是饭也吃不下,觉也睡不好,真快急疯了。

B:可你这样着急也无济于事呀。

A:可是,你知道,如果我没有通过考试,我真不知道该怎么办才好!我很担心失败。

B:不要紧张,如果失败,明年再考嘛。

A:也就是说我要晚一年毕业。那样的话,我妈妈会很失望的。

B:我敢肯定她是会理解的。如果你一直这样紧张,你会急出病来的。

A:是的,我已经有些重感冒的症状了。

B:我看你还是顺其自然吧。

appetite n. 食欲,胃口;

apprehensive adj. 忧虑的,害怕的;

dizzy adj. 头晕的;

scare v. 恐吓;

switch v. 转变,改变;

symptom n. 症状;

terrified adj. 感到恐惧的;

afflict v. 使苦恼,折磨;

be sad of appearance愁容满面;

brood over闷闷不乐;

carE-ridden adj. 忧心忡忡的;

depressed adj. 压抑的;

dismal adj. 忧郁的,凄凉的;

dreadful adj. 可怕的;

be scared of 害怕;

feel ill at ease心神不宁;

get nervous心情紧张;

horrify v. 使恐惧;

ill at ease心中不安;

in low spirits all day long整天忧心忡忡;

melancholy adj. 忧郁的;

moody adj. 忧郁的,不快的;

sign v. 叹息;

sullen adj. 抑郁的,沉闷的;

uneasy adj. 焦虑不安的;

The Worst of All

For more than an hour a scrawny guy sat at bar staring into his glass.Suddenly a burly trucker sat down next to him,grabbed the guy s drink and gulped it down.The poor little fellow burst out crying.“Oh,come on,pal,”the trucker said.“I was just joking.Here,I ll buy you another.”

“No,that s not it,”the man blubbered.“This has been the worst day of my life.I was late for work and got fired by my boss.When I left the office I found that my car had been stolen,so I walked six miles home.Then I found my wife with another man,so I grabbed my wallet and came here.And just when I m about to end it all,”the guy said,sobbing,“you show up and drink my poison.”

最糟糕的事

一个骨瘦如柴的人坐在酒吧里眼瞪着自己的酒杯已超过一个小时。

突然间,一个魁梧的卡车司机坐到他的旁边,抓起他的酒杯,一口灌了下去。这位瘦小的人失声痛哭。“别这样,朋友,”卡车司机说,“我只是开个玩笑。喂,我给你再买一杯。”

“问题不在这里。”这个人哭诉道,“今天是我一生中最糟糕的一天。我上班迟到,被老板开除了。我离开办公室时又发现我的车被人偷走了,于是我走上六英里回到家,却发现妻子和另一个男人在一起,于是我抓起钱包来到这里。就在我准备一了百了时,”他抽泣地说道,“你却出现了,并且喝了我的毒药。”

6.抱怨

Our house is a mess?

So,do something!咱们家真乱。

那你就收拾收拾吧。

How was the investment?

It went down the drain.那个投资项目怎么样?

全都白搭了。

What a waste of time and money!

Don t say that.费时又费钱。

你别那么说呀!

I hate that noise.

It drives me crazy.我真讨厌那种声音。

它简直快让我疯了。

I simply can t bear his arrogance.

Yes.He looks down upon everybody.我简直受不了他的狂妄自大。

是啊。他谁都瞧不起。

I can t put up with it any more.

We can only bear it.我再也不能忍受了。

我们只能忍受。

What s wrong with you?

I m fed up with my wife.So I m going to divorce her.你怎么了?

我受够了我老婆。我要离婚。

Sorry,I ll make it up to you someday.

You re all talk and no action.抱歉,我改天会帮你处理。

你只会说不会做。

I m tired of your complaints.

Just listen to me.I m serious.我受够了你的抱怨。

听我说,我是说真的。

I m not at all pleased by your negligence.

We feel terribly sorry.你们疏忽大意我很不满意。

很抱歉。

You should get used to the new job soon.

That s easy for you to say.你很快就会习惯新的工作。

你说得简单。

I really hate waiting.

I m sorry.I had something urgent to deal with.我讨厌等人。

对不起,那时我有点儿急事。

Why do you pinch your nose?

I just can t stand the odor.It stinks.你为什么捏着鼻子?

我只是受不了这股味道,臭死了。

Expressing Complaint 表达抱怨

I can t bear it any more!我再也不能忍受了!

I am really bored!我都烦透顶了!

It s unbearable!这真叫人难以忍受!

It troubles me a lot.这太让我烦心了。

I can t put up with you any more!我无法再去容忍你!

My neighbors are always quarreling around midnight.我的邻居半夜里总是吵闹不休。

There are too many people.人真的太多了。

Still no elevator?还没有电梯呀!

Could you hurry up in the bath?你快点儿洗好吗?

Do you think you could turn your TV down a bit?你可以把电视关小点儿声吗?

It s always the case!老是这样!

Here we are again. What s the point of talking about it?又来了,谈这个有什么意思呢?

I know you have excuses anyway.我知道你总是有借口的。

Honestly! You re always throwing cold water on me.说实在的! 你总是给我泼冷水。

Do you think you could remember not to leave the door open?你看你能不能记得不让门开着?

Getting over Complaint 对抱怨的劝解

Poor guy!可怜的老兄!

It s no surprise.这不足为怪。

It s really worrying!这真让人揪心!

Your are really unlucky!你真不走运!

Whatever will be,will be.听天由命吧。

It s all in God s plan.这都是上帝安排的。

It s in the cards.这是注定要发生的。

A:Hi, Dana.This is Stephen.

B:Oh, hi.How come you haven t called me all week?

A:I ve just had a big project at work.

B:You could have at least called me to let me know.

A:You re right.I m sorry.

B:I m afraid it s not that easy.

A:Let me take you out to make it up to you.Besides, there s something I want to tell you.

A:嗨,黛娜。我是史蒂芬。

B:喔,嗨。你为什么整个星期都不打电话给我?

A:我刚接到一个大项目。

B:你至少打个电话和我说声啊。

A:你说得对。我很抱歉。

B:我恐怕没这么好敷衍吧。

A:我带你出去好好补偿你。而且,我有事要和你说。

A:I m sorry, sir, we have no record of your booking.

B:Well, this is most unsatisfactory. I booked the room myself a week ago. I want to see the manager, please.

A:There s our manager.

C:Come in, please. What seems to be the trouble, sir?

B:I wish to complain in the strongest terms about the service in this hotel. I booked a room at your hotel one week ago. But you have no record of mine.

C:I m very sorry to hear that. I assure you that this kind of thing won t happen again.

B:I suppose it s meant to be hard to understand.

C:I ll look into the matter at once and I ll arrange a room for you as soon as possible.

B:All right, then.

C:I do hope you will come to our hotel next time.

A:对不起,先生,我们这儿没有您订房的记录。

B:嗯,这太令人不满了。一周前我亲自订的房间。我要见你们经理。

A:那就是我们的经理。

C:请进。先生,您有什么麻烦吗?

B:我要对你们宾馆的服务表示最强烈的不满。一周前我在你们旅店订了一间房,但你们却没有我的记录。

C:听到这样的事情很抱歉,我向您保证类似事件不会再次发生。

B:我想这是有意让人难以理解。

C:我会马上调查此事,并尽快给您安排房间。

B:那好吧。

C:我真心希望您下次再光临本店。

upset v. 使心烦意乱;

promise v. 向……保证;

irritating adj. 气人的,使人不愉快的;

urgent adj. 紧急的,意外的;

annoy v. 使烦恼,使生气;

a complaint from the public来自公众的怨言;

become weary of不耐烦;

bitter complaints about对……的强烈不满;

complain about high prices抱怨价钱太高;

complain about the weather抱怨天气;

be particular about对……很挑剔;

beyond one s endurance叫人受不了;

complain v. 抱怨,投诉;

unreasonable adj. 不合情理的;

make a mess of弄得一团糟;

make peace between使……和解;

make things up with sb.与某人言归于好;

on purpose故意地;

Unreasonable Complaint

Two friends were having dinner together.There was only one dish with two fish in it,one larger and the other smaller.One of the friends got the larger fish and the other was very angry.“How selfish you are!”he cried.“Why?”his friend was surprised.“You ve got the larger fish.”“What would you do if you were me?”“I m sure I would choose the smaller one.”“Then what are you complaining of?You ve got your smaller fish.”

无理的抱怨

两个朋友一起吃饭,桌上有一盘鱼,盘中只有两条鱼,一大一小。其中一位夹了大鱼吃,另一位很生气。

“你太自私了!”他嚷着。

“为什么?”他的朋友感到很惊奇。

“你拿了大的。”

“如果你是我,你会怎么做?”

“我当然会选小一点儿的。”

“那你有什么好抱怨的?你已经得到了小一点儿的。”

7.气愤

You tell me what to do!

Hey,don t tell me what to do! It s my money.你到底都干了些什么!

喂!你少命令我,这是我自己的钱。

I m mad at you!

I m sorry,please forgive me.你气死我了!

对不起,请原谅。

But I can t help it.

I ve heard enough of your excuses.可是我毫无办法呀!

我不想再听你的辩解了。

What he says offends me.

I know what you mean.他说的话多气人呀。

我理解你的心情。

You re getting on my nerves.

That s not a nice thing to say.你真让我心烦。

你这样说也太失礼了。

Calm down.

I can t.I ve run out of patience.冷静点儿。

我做不到,我再也忍耐不了了。

Don t look at me like that!

Like what?别用那种眼神看着我!

什么眼神?

Ha,ha,you fell down.

Don t make fun of me.哈!哈!摔倒了呀。

别取笑我!

I m very annoyed at this sort of thing.这种事情令我很生气。

You d better cool yourself down first.你最好先冷静一下。

You re going on my nerves.You ve kept me waiting for three hours.

But I really had something urgent to deal with at that time.你真让我心烦。你让我足足等了三个小时。

可那会儿我的确有急事啊。

The thing that really annoys me is that I paid the bill but the telephone company turned off my phone.

I think there must have been a mistake.让我生气的是我已经交电话费了,可电话公司却给我停机了。

我想肯定是弄错了。

It really makes my blood boil when I see the mess he made.

Don t be so angry.Maybe he didn t do it on purpose.我看到他把这里搞得一团糟时,真是特别生气。

别太生气。也许他不是故意的。

I m coming to the end of my patience.

Why s that?我的忍耐已经到了极限。

怎么了?

Don t think you can make a fool out of me!

You should feel shameful for your behavior.别把我当傻瓜。

你应该为你的行为感到耻辱。

What s the big idea?

Sorry,I ll try my best next time.你到底在想什么呢?

对不起,下次我会尽量努力。

I must say I resent being treated like that.

Just calm down.Let me go and talk to them.他们这样对待我让我觉得很讨厌。

别发火。让我去跟他们说。

Do you know that Jean s jewels were stolen?

Yes.She flew into a rage when her jewels were stolen.你听说珍妮的珠宝被盗了吗?

听说了。她的珠宝被盗后她非常生气。

What he says offends me.

Don t let it worry you.他说的话多气人呀。

别把他的话当真。

Who do you think you are?

You can t talk like that.你以为你是谁?

你不能这样说话。

You are a fool.

Don t insult my intelligence.你是个傻瓜。

别侮辱我的智商。

I am very annoyed that my neighbors always turn on their radios loud.

If I were you,I would not put up with all this.我的邻居经常把收音机开得很大,这使我感到非常讨厌。

如果我是你,我是不会忍受这些的。

Criticism 批评

You look older in grey.你穿灰色衣服显得老气。

Where on earth did you get such a shirt?你在哪儿弄的这么一件衬衣?

How clumsy you are.你真笨。

What a mess!一团糟!

You haven t finished half of the work.你连一半都没完成。

You ve done poorly.你做得太糟糕了。

The coffee s too strong.这咖啡太浓了。

You don t know anything.你根本就不懂。

You don t know beans.你不了解情况。

Don t you know anything?你知道什么呀?

You are clueless.你实在是无知得很。

Get your head out of the sand!不要对问题视而不见!

Anger 恼怒

Well, of all the nerve! 真不知羞耻!

What on earth are you talking about?你究竟在说什么?

I haven t the faintest idea what you are talking about.我根本不懂你在说什么。

How can you be so stupid?你怎么这么蠢呢?

Are you trying to make a fool of me?你当我傻吗?

I m angry that you left without telephoning.你走也没打电话告诉我,我很生气。

When my father heard that I wrecked the car, he blew up.当我父亲听说我把车子弄坏了时,他气炸了。

That politician s dishonesty made my blood boil.那个政客的不诚实使我勃然大怒。

It really irritates me the way salesmen walk in without knocking.推销员没敲门就走进来,很令我生气。

I was angry with him because he lied to me.因为他对我说谎,我对他很生气。

I really saw red when he began to blame me for the accident.当他把事故的责任怪罪到我身上时,我非常气愤。

We were outraged when we found we had been cheated out of our money.

当我们发现自己被骗掉了钱财时,我们都怒不可遏。

It s irritating to have studied hard for weeks only to get poor results in the exam.用功了好几个星期,考试结果却一塌糊涂,真是气死我了!

I was so mad when I found out my husband had gambled our entire savings.

当我知道我丈夫把我们的存款都赌光时,我气疯了。

I flew into a rage when another man stole my girlfriend!女朋友被别人抢走真气死我了!

The more I think about it, the more furious I get.愈想我就愈火冒三丈。

A: My blood is boiling.

B: Calm down and tell me what s wrong.

A: The telephone company just turned off my phone.

B: It s ridiculous.How could they do that?

A: They said I hadn t paid my bills for three months in a row.I explained to them it must have been a mistake,but they didn t seem to listen.I never felt so insulted.I was truly infuriated about this.

B: Maybe you should sue the phone company and demand a huge amount for damages.You should teach them a lesson.

A:我太生气了。

B:镇静一下,告诉我发生什么事了。

A:电话公司掐断我的电话了。

B:太荒唐了。他们怎么能那么做?

A:他们说我已有连续三个月未付话费了。我向他们解释说一定是搞错了,但他们好像是不听。我从没感到如此生气过。我真被这事惹火了。

B:也许你该起诉电话公司,向他们索赔重大损失。你应该给他们一个教训。

A:Look at that girl! She s picking flowers! She is always doing that!

B:How frustrating!

A:You know,I can t stand it when people pick flowers.

B:I can t either.As far as I m concerned,picking flowers is very annoying.

A:It sure is.People should behave themselves,shouldn t they?

B:You are right.

A:If we see her picking flowers next time,we ll warn that she should love flowers and not pick them.

B:OK.

A:你看那个女孩!她在摘花。她老是做那种事。

B:真使人感到难受!

A:你知道,我受不了人们摘花这种事。

B:我也忍受不了。对我来说,摘花真是气人。

A:的确气人。人们应该守规矩,对吗?

B:你说得对。

A:如果下次我们再看见她摘花,就应警告她不要摘花,要爱护花。

B:好。

explode v. 爆发;

furious adj. 狂怒的;

threaten v. 恐吓,威胁;

irritation n. 激怒,生气;

wrangle v. 争吵,吵架,争辩;

hassle v. 剧烈指责,争论,争吵;

vexation n. 恼火,苦恼,伤脑筋;

anathema n.咒骂,诅咒;

mockery n.嘲笑,讥笑;

banter n. & v. 取笑,戏谑,逗弄;

snub n. & v. 冷落,怠慢;

flam n. 谎话,诡计,胡扯,捏造;

snide n. 卑鄙,险恶,伪造;

prank n. 胡闹,恶作剧;

yawping n. 叫嚷,喧闹;

contempt n. 蔑视,轻视;

temerity n. 鲁莽,冒失;

contumely n. 傲慢无礼,谩骂,侮辱;

imprudence n. 轻率,鲁莽

A Family Quarrel

The young newlyweds quarreled.At last she could bear it no longer and burst into tears.

“I don t want to have anything to do with you any more.I m packing up my things and going off to live with my mother.”

“Fine,my dear,”said the husband happily.“Here are the travelling expenses.”

She counted the money.“What about the money for the return ticket?”

吵架

一对年轻的新婚夫妇吵了架。最后妻子再也忍不住就哭了起来。

“我再也不愿和你待下去了,我这就收拾东西回娘家去住。”

“太好了,亲爱的,”丈夫快乐地说,“给你路费。”

妻子数了数钱:“那回来的路费呢?”

8.失望

I m sorry I didn t come to your wedding.

Yeah,you let me down.对不起,我没能参加你的婚礼。

是啊,我很失望。

I didn t get a raise.What a disappointment!

That s too bad.没有给我提薪,真让人失望!

太遗憾了。

I blew it.I lost the customer.

Make sure it doesn t happen again.我真失策,失去了那个客户。

再也不要发生这样的事了。

I couldn t go.

What a shame!我没去成。

太遗憾了。

Please talk to me.

No one can understand how I really feel.请跟我说说吧。

没人能明白我的真实感受。

It s hopeless.

Don t give up yet.没希望了。

别灰心!

I shouldn t have done that.

See,didn t I tell you so?我真不该做那事。

瞧,我不早告诉你了吗?

I ll never win the lottery.

You never know.我肯定中不了奖。

很难说。

Why are you doing it?

I have no other choice but to do so.你为什么做这样的事呢?

除此之外我别无选择。

I thought you loved him.

We broke up.It s history.我想你很爱他。

我们分手了,一切都成为过去了。

We have to work overtime again.

That figures.我们还得再加班。

果不其然。

To my great disappointment,I failed in physics again.

How come? You ve been working hard these days.我物理又不及格,真让我失望。

怎么会呢?这段时间你一直在努力学习啊。

The party is cancelled.

All that for nothing.晚会取消了。

白费劲了。

The failure really depresses me.

Cheer up! Failure is the mother of success.这次失败使我很沮丧。

振作起来!失败是成功之母。

The match is canceled.That s a real let down.

Yes.It really is.比赛取消了。真叫人失望!

是的,的确如此。

Do you like your life in the US?

Actually,I am rather disappointed with it.你喜欢你在美国的生活吗?

实际上我对它感到很失望。

I couldn t go.

What a pity.我没去成。

太遗憾了。

Do you like the course?

No,I m very disappointed.你喜欢那门课程吗?

不,我对那门课程很失望。

Did you find the book?

No.It was a waste of effort.找到那本书了吗?

没有,白费了半天劲。

I m sorry I didn t come to your birthday party.

Yes,you let me down.对不起,我没能参加你的生日晚会。

是啊,我很失望。

I blew it.I lost the chance.

Try to think about other ways.我真失策,失去了那个机会。

再也不要发生这样事了。

It s a good show,isn t it?

But,it could have been better.这是场不错的演出,不是吗?

不过它应该会演得更好。

If only I had been more considerate.

It s good enough.我本应再想得周到些。

已经够周到的了。

Has he passed the exam?

I m disappointed with him.他通过考试了吗?

我对他实在很失望。

I m very disappointed at the new house.I expected it to be much better.

You can t say that,David.我对新房很失望,我原指望会好得多。

大卫,别这么说了。

How disappointing! We were just beginning the match when it rained.真令人失望!我们刚刚开始比赛就下起雨来。

Next time we d better listen carefully to the weather report.下次我们最好注意听一下天气预报。

Pessimism 悲观

I have no confidence that I will pass the exam.我完全没有自信会通过考试。

He likes to view everything in its darker aspect. In short, he s a pessimist.他喜欢从黑暗面看任何事物。总而言之,他是个悲观论者。

I have lost hope for everything in life.我对人生的一切都绝望了。

I despaired of never seeing you again.我很悲观以为再也见不到你了。

I take a passive attitude.我抱消极态度。

I don t believe he will have a lucky escape.我认为他不会幸运脱险。

I m bound to be a failure.我肯定是失败的人。

It seems we ve come to the end of the world.天好像要塌下来了。

I m not so sure that is a good solution.我并不肯定那是个解决问题的好方法。

Our team was hopeless.我们队没有希望了。

There s not even a dog s chance.一点儿机会也没有。

We have no chance at winning.我们没有取胜的机会。

Whatever am I going to tell my parents?我该怎么对我父母说啊?

Our team is hopeless.我们队没希望了。

I don t really believe you can get away with it.我不大相信你能逃脱得了。

I m not too happy about the result of the experiment.我对实验的结果不太乐观。

This project is doomed to fail.这个项目注定要失败。

I m fairly pessimistic about his survival.我对他能否存活下来相当悲观。

I have to admit to doubt about the future of our cooperation.我得承认我对

我们合作的前景有所怀疑。

Disappointment 失望

I was pretty depressed when I saw this room.我看到这个房间就十分泄气。

It s a real pity you haven t finished the job.真遗憾你没做完工作。

He found his job disappointing.他觉得他的工作令人失望。

To our disappointment, they didn t keep their words.我们失望的是,他们没有遵守诺言。

Oh dear, I ve been looking forward to a better service.哦,天啊,我一直盼望得到更好的服务。

I was hoping for a bigger house.我原本希望得到更大的房子。

I was really disappointed by the ending of the movie.这部电影的结局令我很失望。

I was really disappointed with my poor performance.我对自己糟糕的表演感到很失望。

I was jilted by the news that he wouldn t come for dinner.知道他不来吃晚饭,我有种被遗弃的感觉。

I was really disappointed when I didn t pass the exam.当我没通过考试时,我真的很失望。

I can t tell you how crushed I am by your decision to quit.当你决定要辞职时,我真说不出来有多失望。

I was very disappointed by the letter of refusal from the firm to which I had applied for a job.我申请求职的公司寄来了拒绝信,我很失望。

I was very discouraged by my slow progress in mastering English.我很沮丧自己的英文进步很慢,无法精通。

What a pity!太遗憾了!

It was a waste of effort.白费力了。

All that for nothing.前功尽弃。

You let me down.你真让我失望。

No one can understand how I really feel.没人能知道我的感受。

Oh,no!It can t be true.哦,不!这不是真的。

It wasn t as good as I d expected.这不如我原来想的那么好。

I ve never felt so depressed before.我以前从未这样失望过。

A: What s the matter, Tom? Why do you look so glum?

B: I didn t get the job promotion I was hoping for.

A: Oh, no.That s too bad.I m sorry to hear that.

B: Thanks.I m very disappointed.I worked so hard for that promotion.

A: Is it possible you might get another chance in the future?

B:I don t think so.It s my evil year.

A: Maybe next time you ll get the promotion you deserve.

A:汤姆,怎么了?为什么你的脸色看起来这么阴沉?

B:我的工作没有得到我所希望的提升。

A:噢,不。太遗憾了。我听到那些非常难过。

B:谢谢,我非常失望。为了提升我工作已经很努力了。

A:将来你能得到另一个机会吗?

B:我想不能。今年我特倒霉。

A:也许下一次你能得到你所应得的提升。

A:Hi, Lin, why are you so depressed?

B:How to say? If you expect too much, it will turn out to be more disappointing.

A:You are so sentimental and sensitive. Can you tell me what s the matter?

B:In fact, it s really nothing. I only feel disappointed. My boyfriend had said he would give me a call every weekend. But he didn t on this weekend.

A:Maybe he was busy.

B:Have you heard such words: If he doesn t give you a call, it s not because he is busy or he forgets it. The only reason is that he has no such desire.

A:I don t know if it is right. Don t think too much. Let s go out for a walk.

B:All right. Let the cold wind sober me up.

A:喂,林,你怎么看起来这么沮丧?

B:怎么说呢?如果你期望过高,结果往往会失望越大。

A:你太多愁善感了。能告诉我是什么事吗?

B:实际上,也没什么事。我只是觉得很失望。我男朋友说他每个周末给我打一个电话,但这个周末他却没有打。

A:也许他很忙。

B:不知你是否听说过这样的话:如果他不给你打电话,不是因为他忙,或者他忘记了,只是因为他不想打。

A:我不知道这是否对。不要想这么多。我们出去散步吧。

B:好吧。就让这寒风把我吹醒吧。

hinder v. 妨碍,阻止;

let down失望;

sentimentaladj. 多愁善感的;

soberv. 变清醒;

be dismayed at the news听到消息很沮丧;

be rather disappointed at令人相当失望;

blueadj. 沮丧的;

despairn. & v. 绝望;

dismayn. 沮丧;

drop one s head垂头丧气;

hide one s disappointment掩饰失望情绪;

The Students Wish

Little Tom visited his teacher,who was ill at home.As he came back out of the house,his classmates were waiting for him.He shook his head:“No hope,no hope;she will be coming back to school tomorrow.”

学生的愿望

小汤姆的老师生病在家,他去看望老师。当他从房子里出来时,他的同学们都在等着他。他摇了摇头,然后说:“没希望了,没希望了,她明天就会回校上课。”